Home » Bell Ringing

Kentchurch Time

NEWS

Bell Ringing

F Sharpe The Church Bells of Herefordshire Vol II (Brackley, 1969) (updated by Roland Watkins, 2015)

A new steel frame was installed and the tenor of 1730 was recast and a new treble added in 1973. This brought the ring to six bells hung in the western tower. The bells were dedicated at a service on 24 March 1974. The diameter of the tenor bell is 34 inches, and its strike-note is B flat.

Bell Inscription Approx weight

cwt qts lbs

Treble WILLIAM WATKINS GREAT CORRAS

CHURCHWARDEN FOR 50YRS

FROM 1920 3 2 3

Second PROSPERITY TO THIS PARISH 1730 4 1 21

Third ABR: RVDHALL CAST VS ALL 1730 4 2 22

Fourth RICHD: HEATH SENR: GENT

BENEFACTOR 1730 5 0 4

Fifth PEACE AND GOOD NEIGHBOVRHOOD 5 3 15

Tenor WM:SCUDAMORE ESQR: & WALTER

SCUDAMORE GT: BENEFACTORS 1730 7 2 5

Recast 1973

The second through to the tenor was the complete ring by Abraham Rudhall II, of Gloucester, in 1730. The fourth and fifth bells have false crown staples and all have cable patterned canons. The tenor was recast as a consequence of its being cracked in the crown, due to rusting and expansion of its iron staple.

The bells were hung in a deal frame when the church was rebuilt in 1859. When they were rehung in 1973, all were in the same tier on a steel frame.

The four medieval bells weighed respectively approximately 5, 6, 71/2, and 10 cwt, and were probably exchanged for the 1730 ring. The inventory of 1552 gives their dimensions:

Kenchurch. Item iiii belles the first of xxix ynches the second of xxxii ynches the third of xxxv ynches the iiii of xxxviii brode in the mouthes.

Facebook feed

Please select facebook feed.